Wednesday 5 October 2011

Moving too fast?

At some point, society gave women one set of rules regarding the start of relationships and men another. Rob and I had 10 dates in quick succession - I couldn't help but feel like things were moving too fast, but i couldn't bare to spend time with out him.

We slept together on date 4. I tried desperately to not fall under his spell and wait, but the chemistry was too much and when he said that he wanted to spend the night with me I couldn't resist. It wasn't as crude as "lets have sex". It was "I want to get to know you", "I want to fall asleep with you" and "I want to wake up with you". He was passionate, considerate and it wasn't awkward. He was unbelievably sexy and confident and it felt intimate. Waking up with Rob was the best feeling - opening my eyes and seeing his gorgeous face and cuddling into him felt amazing.

Just over two weeks after our first date, we became a couple. Girlfriend and Boyfriend. Everything was going perfectly and we were already starting to plan ahead. It made sense and it felt right.

But is this all too fast? I've not properly been in a relationship since the last one ended and this blog was created as a result. For a woman, she wants to just settle down; for a man, he takes it all in his stride. Sex is just sex to him, but for a woman its a quite often something more. Women want the security of the title "girlfriend", men don't wan the commitment. If you google "when should you become Boyfriend/Girlfriend" or "What date should you first have sex" then there are a million answers to chose from.

I think talking about relationships in this sense is a taboo - but for men only. I've noticed that with Rob he is very closed- he's not told many people, and if he does, its generally when he is seeing them in person. For me, all of my close friends, family and colleagues know. Its been nearly a month since our first date, and we've been talking for 7 weeks. He has told people we met in a coffee shop, I've been open and told people we met online, I have no shame in that. Even my parents know!

What I am sure is, that in starting a new relationship, approach with caution. Find out how open your new other-half is - its ok to talk about your feelings and show some vulnerability, but don't rush in. I feel I've learnt a huge amount in the last three years since I broke up with Chris. It is not a taboo to be open and honest about what you want and where you see a relationship going, but make sure that the conversation is not a taboo for the other, it will end in tears.

No comments: